G-VYKV572BRX
 
Homeless Man jonathan-rados-Sbxt82CsMxA-

Mildmay provides inpatient care for homeless patients who have been 'stepped down' from acute care. We deliver medical care and treatment to a vulnerable group that is in desperate need. This work is alongside our ongoing work with HIV.

 

In addition, Mildmay is London's primary facility for homeless COVID-19 patients that do not require intensive care.

jorg-karg-R8k4A8z7_lA-unsplash for website.jpg

Post-detox inpatient rehabilitation care for patients who are homeless or rough-sleeping.

We deliver safe and effective inpatient post-detoxification, recovery-focused care for people who sleep rough, are in hostel accommodation and/or are at risk of returning to the streets.

Patients are admitted to Mildmay after being stepped down following detoxification treatment at acute centres in London like the Addiction Clinical Care Suite for homeless people at Guys and St. Thomas’s Hospital - one of our partners in this programme.

Healthcare challenges of people who are homeless

People who are homeless experience some of the worst health problems in society. The longer a person experiences homelessness, particularly from young adulthood, the more likely their health and wellbeing will be at risk. Co-morbidity (two or more diseases or disorders occurring in the same person) among the longer-term homeless population is common.

34

times more likely to have tuberculosis

50

times more likely to have Hepatitis C

12

times more likely to have epilepsy

6

times more likely to have heart disease

5

times more likely to have a stroke

2.5

times more likely to have asthma

Data courtesy of Pathway

tom-parsons-pVmjvK44Dao-CROPPED.jpg

We work with people who are homeless or rough sleeping

Rough sleeping is on the rise:
 

  • Since 2010, there has been a 165% increase in the number of people sleeping on the streets of England.
  • Half have a mental health illness and 14% are women
  • The average age of death whilst homeless is 45 for men, and 43 for women
  • 726 people died whilst homeless or rough sleeping last year, which is a fifth more than the previous year.

Data from St Mungo's

Goals and outcomes

Mildmay's aims are that:

 

  1. No rough sleepers die on the street

  2. No one is discharged from a hospital to the street

  3. There is equal and fair access to healthcare for those who are homeless.

Our purpose is two-fold

1. To deliver better care and health outcomes for homeless patients

2. To make more efficient use of all available health resources by freeing up NHS acute beds and providing medical respite/rehabilitation for this vulnerable cohort, improving the likelihood of a safe and full recovery.

Our funding

About 80% of funding for patients who are homeless is covered by NHS contracts and we depend on your help to secure the remaining 20%.

Mildmay is a charity providing specialist services to the NHS, not an NHS or private hospital. We don't make a profit and all donations are invested in our services and facilities.

Help us secure the future of our UK hospital in developing the Homeless Pathway, so we can ensure equal and fair access to healthcare for those who are homeless.